Tuesday, October 16, 2007

IEP Update

I got to the school early and tried to see Jacob getting on the school bus. I thought I parked far enough away for him NOT to see my van. But yes...he saw it and tried to break away from his teacher. So I got out and I got lots of Jacob style kisses He told me - One ***lots of Jacob babble*** a few times...I so wish I knew what he was trying sooo hard to say! He got on the bus like a champ even though Mommy was at the school, I was so proud of that! I did have to tell the bus driver to move the chest clip up she had it down near the buckle Lets just say i'll be following up on that.

Speech was pleased with his progress, but he screams though parts of the sessions. It's 2x's a week for 30 min's each. Non of it is 1:1 which I was NOT pleased about, and vocalized my concern. She did say if a spot opened he'd be 'one of the ones' in line for it.

They did need a chair in the lunchroom with a strap for him. He's interested in other kids lunches, but cant have anything yet. After talking to GI we may send in some things like gerber puffs for him to play with during lunch.

They want him to be able to sit for a story for 5 min's ... and play with things appropriatly. All things you have may have heard us mention before. Alot of it has to do with the Autisim, but alot of it we just call "Jacob". They sound like decent goals all around. She did say if I emailed her the form I made up she will print it out, she volunteered after I told her I was out of ink in my printer ABA therapy...not available UGH, would have to find a private place to get it for him.OT and PT - He will be evaluated, but can take up to 7 weeks to get evaluated. Then there will be another meeting based on the findings.

4 comments:

MMMom said...

ABA not available??? WRONG answer! You need to get in touch with whoever is the advocacy group for SC. I think that ABA is NECESSARY & APPROPRIATE for his educational development. Also, what is the law on evals? Here it has to be done within 30 days. You need to check that out too. He is ENTITLED to his FAPE (free & appropriate public education). I am going to try & find a group for SC. In TN, we have something called STEP. GL & let me know how it goes

MMMom said...

Here is a link to a parent advocacy group. CALL THEM!!! I am sure they will have lots of advice. STEP is the equivalent here & I learned so much from the conference they had. I am way more aware of the laws & rights.

http://www.proparents.org/

Andrea "The H family" said...

Looks like an advocating mommy above me. LOL.
Sounds like Jacob is doing well and just needs some extra attention. I can't imagine the lunch thing? Oh Trish. I just want to homeschool and bypass all this. Ughhh, I'm so sorry honey. I pray things flow smoother and Jacob gets appropriate help in all areas. Hugs

Trish ~CnJ's Mommy~ said...

Oh yes Andrea! She's an advocate for one adorable little girl! ;) I did try that website, I emailed them..waiting for a reply.

Andrea...Now that we know why Luke is who he is, he's got time before he even get's to Jacob's age. {{hugs}}